André Carlos Ponce de Leon Ferreira de Carvalho
- Main Info
- Editorial Boards
- Talks and Tutorials
Data Mining, Data Science and Machine Learning
1998 - 1998: Habilitation Computer Science
University of São Paulo, Brazil
1990-1994 - Ph.D. Electronic Engineering
University of Kent, U. KENT, UK.
Title: TOWARDS AN INTEGRATED BOOLEAN NEURAL NETWORK FOR IMAGE RECOGNITION
1988-1990 - M.Sc. Computer Science
Federal University of Pernambuco, UFPE, Brazil
Title: UM NOVO MODELO DE NEURONIO PARA O RECONHECIMENTO DE SEQUENCIAS
1984-1987 - B.Sc. Computer Science
Federal University of Pernambuco, UFPE, Brazil
Prof. André de Carvalho has more than 300 publications in data science, machine learning and data mining, including 10 best papers awards from conferences organized by ACM, IEEE and SBC. Prof. André de Carvalho supervised/co-supervised more than 25 PhD students in different Universities in Brazil and Portugal and more than 15 Postdocs. He has been in the Editorial Board and Program Committee of some of the main conferences and Journals in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning, like AAAI, KDD, ECML/PKDD, IJCAI and SDM. He is a member of the International Association for Statistical Computing (IASC) Council and Director of the Center of Machine Learning in Data Analysis, University of São Paulo.
- Assistant Professor (Hired in the University Program “Young Talents”), Department of Computer Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, São Carlos, Brazil,, from 08/94 to 12/95.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, São Carlos, Brazil, from 12/95 to 06/98.
- Associate Professor, Department of Computing and Information Science, University of Guelph, from 01/2000 to 12/2000. (on leave from USP in this period)
- Associate Professor (with habillitation), Departament of Computer Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, São Carlos, Brazil, from 06/98 (on leave from 01/2000 to 10/01/2001).
- Visiting Researcher, Laboratory of Artificial Intelligence and Data Analysis, LIAAD, Universidade do Porto, Portugal, from October 2005 to September 2006.
- Full Professor, Departament of Computer Science and Statistics, University of Sao Paulo, from 09/2006.
- Visiting Professor, School of Computing, University of Kent, UK from March 2010 to February 2011.
- Machine Learning (ISSN: 0885-6125), Springer
- Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence (ISSN: 0952-1976), Elsevier
- International Journal of Computational Intelligence and Applications (ISSN: 1469-0268), World Scientific
- International Journal of Hybrid Intelligent Systems (ISSN: 1448-5869), IOS Press
- International Journal of Bio-inspired Computation (ISSN: 1758-0366), Inderscience
- Intelligent Data Analysis (ISSN: 1088-467X), IOS Press
- Advances in Distributed Computing and Artificial Intelligence Journal (ISSN: 2255-2863), University of Salamanca
- Rafael Mantovani, Using Metalearning for parameter tuning, FAPESP grant, since 03/2013
- Everlândio Rebouças Queiroz Fernandes, Ensemble de Classificadores com Atualização Dinâmica para Análise de Risco de Crédito , FAPESP grant, since 08/2013
- Kelly Cristina Ramos da Silva. Anomaly detection for categorical data. CAPES grant, sice 03/2014
- Giovana Gellatti. Ensembles for anomaly detection, CAPES grant, since 07/2014
- Kemilly Dearo Garcia, Unsupervised novelty detection in data streams, CAPES grant, since 03/2015
- Victor Barella, Integrated data pre-processing, FAPESP grant, since 03/2016
- Adriano Rivolli da Silva, Metalearning for multilabel classification, without grant, since 03/2016
- Douglas Castilho, Deep learning for time series classification, without grant, since 03/2016
- Everton Silva, Ensembles for imbalanced data, without grant, since 03/2016
- Tiago Daniel Sá Cunha, Model Management for Recommender Systems using Metalearning, Universidade do Porto, Portugal – co-supervisor, since 08/2016.
- Igo Bueno Correia, CNPq, since 07/2015
- Carlos Affonso, Wood quality classification using Image feature extraction and machine learning, Without Grant, since 03/2015
- Isvani Frías-Blanco, New approaches for learning decision trees in non-stationary data streams, FAPESP grant, since 08/2015
- Davi Pereira dos Santos, Meta-learning in Active Learning, CNPq grant, since 04/2016
- Luis Paulo Garcia, Using Complexity Indices for Noise Pattern Recognition in the Data Preprocessing, CNPq grant, since 07/2016
- Humberto Brandão, Binary classification combining features extracted by Deep Learning, CAPES Grant, since 09/2016
Past student supervisions:
- Werner Siegfried Hanisch, Desenvolvimento de Modelos Mecanístico e Neural para o Processo de Lodos Ativados de Tratamento de Esgotos Domésticos (Development of Mechanist and Neural Models for the Activated Sludge Process Treating Domestic Sewage), São Carlos Engineering School -University of São Paulo, 1999. Currently, Assistant Professor at Universidade Federal de São Paulo
- Ricardo Barz Sovat, Combinando Redes Neurais Artificiais e Raciocínio Baseado em Casos (Combining Artificial Neural Networks and Case-Based Reasoning), ICMC-USP, Brazil,, 2002. Currently, Assistant Professor at Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia de São Paulo
- Alexandre Botazzo Delben, Algoritmos Genéticos Híbridos para o Planejamento de Sistemas Hidroelétricos (Energy Restoration Using Genetic Algorithms), São Carlos Engineering School, USP, Brazil,, 2002 (as co-supervision, the supervisor was Prof. Newton Bretas from São Carlos Engineering School-University of São Paulo, Brazil). Currently, Associate Professor at Universidade de São Paulo
- Estéfane George LacerdaModel Selection of RBF Networks via Genetic Algorithms, Center of Informatics - Federal University of Pernambuco, 2003 (). Currently, Researcher ar Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte
- Cláudia Regina Milaré, Extração de Conhecimento de Redes Neurais (Knowledge Extraction from Neural Networks), ICMC-USP, Brazil,Currently, Assistant Professor at Centro Universitário das Faculdades Associadas de Ensino
- Antonio Valério Neto, Processamento e Análise de Imagens para Medição de Vícios de Refração Ocular (Image Processing and Analysis to Measure Ocular Refractive Vicious), ICMC-USP, Brazil,().
- Patricia Leite Teixeira, Algoritmos Genéticos Híbridos para o Planejamento de Sistemas Hidroelétricos (Hybrid Genetic Algorithms for Hydroletric Systems Planning), EESC/ Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil, 2003 (as co-supervisor, the supervisor was Dr Adriano França from São Carlos Engineering School-University of São Paulo, Brazil).
- Ana Carolina Lorena, Investigação de Estratégias para Geração de Máquinas de Vetores de Suporte Classification Multiclasses (Investigation of Strategies for the Generation of Multiclass Support Vector Machines), ICMC-USP, 2006.
- Katti Faceli, Combinação de clusters para Análise de Expressão Gênica (Cluster Ensemble for Gene Expression Analysis), ICMC-USP, 2006.
- Eduardo Spinola, Detecção de Novidade com Aplicação a Fluxos Contínuos de Dados (Novelty Detection with Application to Data Streams), ICMC-USP, 2008.
- Luiz Carlos G. Lopes, Aplicação de algoritmos genéticos híbridos na resolução de problemas numéricos (Applying Hybrid Genetic Algorithms to Solve Numerical problems), Universidade da Madeira, Portugal, 2008.
- Rodrigo Bianchi, Extração de Conhecimento de Classificadores de Margens Largas Aplicadas à Análise de Expressão Gênica (Knowledge Extraction from Large Margin for Gene Expression Analysis), ICMC-USP, Brazil, 2008.
- Débora Medeiros, Gene Semi-supervised Clustering Using Text Mining, ICMC-USP, Brazil, 2010.
- Bruno Feres de Souza, Using Meta-Learning and Bioinspired Algorithms for Parameters Tunnig. ICMC-USP, 2010
- Marcio Basgalupp, Induction of decision trees for classification using Evolutionary Computation, ICMC-USP, 2010.
- Mariá Cristina Vasconcelos Nascimento, Metaheuristics for the graph clustering problem (co-supervised by Dr Franklina Toledo), ICMC-USP, 2010.
- Sabrina de Oliveira. Análise do efeito proliferativo da desintegrina Alternagina-C (ALT-C) em células precursoras endoteliais por técnicas proteômicas, Biotechnology, Universidade Federal de São Carlos, (Heloisa Sobreiro Selistre de Araújo, Federal University of São Carlos, UFSCar, Brazil).
- Jorge Kanda, Meta-aprendizado em Otimização, Meta-learning for Optimization, ICMC-USP, 2011, Grant from FAPEAM. Currently, Assistant Professor at Universidade Federal do Amazonas.
- José Augusto de Andrade, Attribute Selections for Clustering in Bioinformatics, ICMC-USP, July 2013, Grant from CNPq, Currently Assistant Professor Instituto Federal de Sergipe, Brazil.
- André Rossi, Meta-learning for Data streams, ICMC-USP, 2013, Grant from FAPESP. Currently, Assistant Professor in the UNESP, Campus of Itapeva, Brazil.
- Rosane Vallim Maffei, machine learning for data streams in computer games, ICMC-USP, May 2013, Grant from FAPESP, Currently Microsoft.
- Ricardo Cerri, Hierarchical end multilabel classification, since March 2010, Grant from FAPESP. Currently, Assistant Professor in the Universidade Federal de São Carlos, São Carlos Campus, Brazil.
- Rodrigo Coelho Barros: Evolving tree induction algorithms by evolutionary programming, December 2013, Grant from FAPESP. Currently, Assistant Professor PUC Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.
- Elaine Ribeiro de Faria, Novelty detection using clustering algorithms, June 2014. Currently, Assistant Professor in the Universidade Federal de Uberlandia, Brazil.
- Ivani de Oliveira Negrão Lopes, Semi-supervised learning for microRNA detection, June 2014. Currently, Researcher in the Embrapa Soja, Brazil.
- Davi Pereira dos Santos, Using ensembles for novelty detection, April 2015. Currently, Postdoc at ICMC-USP, CNPq Grant, Brazil.
- Luis Paulo Faina Garcia, Data pre-processing by noise detection, June 2015. Currently, Postdoc at ICMC-USP, CNPq Grant, Brazil.
- Paulo Henrique Pisani, Novelty Detection in Biometic Data,
- Claudia Regina MilaréSistemas Híbridos Inteligentes: Redes Neurais e Raciocínio Baseado em Casos (Hybrid Intelligent Systems: Neural Networks and Case-Based Reasoning), ICMC-USP, 1997.
- Elson Felix Mendes FilhoAvaliação de Crédito utilizando Redes Neurais Artificiais Evolutivas (Credit Evaluation Using Evolutive Artificial Neural Networks), ICMC-USP, 1997.
- Paulo Sérgio Prampero, Combinação de Estimadores para Reconhecimento de Padrões (Estimators Combination for Pattern Recognition), ICMC-USP, 1998.
- Ernesto Cuadros Vargas, Kipu: Um Simulador para Redes Neurais Construtivas (Kipu: A Simulator for Constructive Neural Networks), ICMC-USP, 1998.
- Estefane Lacerda, Otimização de Redes Neurais do tipo Radial Basis Function utilizando Algoritmos Genéticos (Radial Basis Function Neural Networks Optimization Using Genetic Algorithms), ICMC-USP, 1999.
- Edmar Martinelli, Extração de Conhecimento de Redes Neurais Artificiais (Knowledge Extraction from Artificial Neural Networks), ICMC-USP, 1999.
- Hélio Diniz,Combinação de Redes Neurais e Métodos Estocásticos para Previsão de Séries Temporais (Combining Neural Networks and Sthocastic Methods for Time Series Analysis), ICMC-USP, 1999.
- Fábio Melfi, Utilização de Redes Neurais para Definição de Trajetória de Robôs Móveis (Using Neural for Mobile Robots Treajectory Definition), ICMC-USP, 1999.
- Marco Antônio Alvarez Vega, Avaliação de Técnicas de Prunning para Redes Neurais Artificiais (Evaluation of Pruning Techniques for Artificial Neural Networks), ICMC-USP, 1999.
- Humberto de Sousa, Utilização de Redes Neurais Contrutivas para Reconhecimento de Padrões (Using Constructive Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition), ICMC-USP, 2000.
- Katti Faceli, Fusão de Sensores Utilizando Combinação de Técnicas de Inteligência Artificial (Sensor Fusion through combination of Fuzzy Techniques), ICMC-USP, 2001.
- Thiago Turchetti Maia, Estratégias para combinação de técnicas de Boosting e Support Vector Machines, Electrical Engineering School, Federal University of Minas Gerais, 2003 (as co-supervisor, the supervisor was Dr. Antonio de P. Braga from Electrical Engineering School, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil).
- Alfredo Lanari, Hipermídia Adaptativa Utilizando Redes Neurais (Adaptative Hypermidia Using Neural Networks), ICMC-USP, 2004.
- Cláudio Policastro, Adaptação em Sistemas Híbridos de RBC (Adaptation in Hybrid CBRs), ICMC-USP, 2004.
- Bruno Feres de Souza, Seleção de Atributos por Algoritmos Genéticos para Classificação de Dados de Expressão Genica (Attributes Selection by Genetic Algorithms for Classification of Gene Expression Data), ICMC-USP, 2005
- Sabrina de Oliveira de Sousa, Utilizando Algoritmos Genéticos para o Alinhamento de Seqüências (Using Genetic Algorithms for Sequence Alignment), Genetics/UFSCar, 2005 (as co-supervisor, the supervisor was Dr. Pedro Galetti from Genetics Department, Federal University of São Carlos, Brazil).
- Murilo Coelho Naldi, Agrupamento de Dados Usando Algoritmos Genéticos (Clustering Using Genetic Algorithms), ICMC-USP, 2006.
- Giampaolo Libralão, Detecção de Ruídos em Dados de Expressão Gênica (Noise Detection in Gene Expression Data), ICMC-USP, 2007.
- Eduardo de Paula Costa, Investigação de Técnicas de Classificação Hierárquica para Problemas de Bioinformática (Investigation of Hierarchical Classification Techniques for Bioinformatics Problems), ICMC-USP, 2008.
- André Rossi, Bioinspired Parameter Adjustment, ICMC-USP, 2009.
- Cerri, R., Hierarquical Multi-Label Classifiers, ICMC-USP, 2010.
- Rosane Maffei, Multi-Label Classification Using Learning Classifiers, 2010.
- Luiz Henrique Nogueira Lorena. Seleção de atributos para classificação com uma única classe, UNIFESP, 2014.
- Victor Hugo. Using metalearning to deal with imbalance in hierarchical classification, ICMC-USP, 2014.
- Alexandre Cláudio Botazzo Delbem, Using Evolutionary Computation in Bioinformatics, from 04/2002 to 02/2003, Grant from CNPq (Currently, Associate Professor Universidade de São Paulo)
- Marcílio Carlos Pereira Souto, Computability of Hybrid Neural Networks, from 08/2002to 09/2003, Grant from FAPESP (Currently, Full Professor University of Orleans, France)
- Renato Tinos, Temporal Genetic Algorithms, from 03/2003 to 03/2004, Grant from CNPq (Currently, Associate Professor Universidade de São Paulo)
- Arthur Plínio de Sousa Braga, Fault Detection in Engines, from 06/2004 to 04/2005, Grant from CNPq and FAPESP (Currently, Associate Professor Universidade Federal do Ceará)
- Ana Carolina Lorena, Multiclass Classification, from 10/2006 to 09/2007, Grant from CNPq (Currently, Assistant Professor Universidade Federal de São Paulo)
- Katti Faceli, Ensemble of Clustering Techniques, from 11/2006 to 12/2007, Grant from FAPESP (Currently, Assistant Professor Universidade Federal de São Carlos)
- Antônio Nilder, Data Mining for Credit Analysis, from 03/2007 to 12/2007, Grant from Northeast Brazilian Bank
- Daniel Luís Barreiro, Music Composition by Genetic Algorithms, from 06/2008 to 10/2008, Grant from CNPq (Currently, Assistant Professor Universidade Federal de Uberlândia)
- Cláudia Milaré, from 03/2009 to 01/2011, Grant from CNPq (Currently, Assistant Professor Centro Universitário São João da Boa Vista)
- Bruno Feres de Souza, from 10/2010 to 10/2012, Grant from CNPq (Currently, Assistant Professor Universidade Federal do Maranhão)
- Tiago Silva das Silva, from 05/2012 to 11/2013, Grant from CNPq and FAPESP (Currently, Assistant Professor Universidade Federal de São Paulo)
- Eduardo Costa, from 12/2013 to 12/2014, Grant from CAPES (Currently, Chef Scientist Dow Chemistry, Cravinhos )
- Soledad Espezua, from 01/2014 to 08/2016, Grants from CNPq and CAPES (Currently, Substitute Professor Catholic University of Lima)
- Edwin Villanueva, from 01/2014 to 10/2016, Grants fromFAPESP and CNPq (Currently, Assistant Professor Catholic University of Lima)
- Tomas Horvath, from 08/2015 to 09/2016, Grant from CAPES (Currently,Head of Data Science and Engeneering Department at ELTE Faculty of Informatics, Hungary)
- microRNA identification
- Gene expression analysis for cancer diagnosis
- Hybrid Neural Networks, Computing and Information Science Department, University of Guelph, Canada, March 1999.
- Applying Machine Learning to Problems in Molecular Biology, INRIA- LORIA, Nancy, France, July 2003.
- Utilização de Inteligência Artificial em Bioinformática (in Portuguese) – Using Artificial Intelligence in Bioinformatics, Universidade da Madeira, Funchal, Portugal, July 2003.
- Classificação de Tumores Utilizando Inteligência Artificial (in Portuguese) – Tumor Classification Using Artificial Intelligence, Hemocentro Foundation, Ribeirão Preto, Brazil, October 2003.
- Applying Artificial Intelligence Techniques to Bioinformatics, University of Newcastle, Newcastle, Australia, December 2003.
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Bioinformatics, Griffith University, Gold Coast, Australia, December 2003
- Datamining, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trhondheim, Norway, September 2004.
- Using Machine Learning in Bioinformatics, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal, February 2005.
- Optimization Techniques based on Biology, Universidade de Aveiro, Portugal, April 2006.
- Artificial Intelligence and Bioinformatics, Central Queensland University (CQU) Rockhampton, Australia, November 2007.
- Bioinspired Machine Learning, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, June, 2008.
- Non-Trivial Classification Problems, Brain Inspired Cognitive Systems (BISC´2008), São Luís, Brazil, June 2008.
- Advanced Classification Problems, Computer Engineering Department, University of Alberta, Canada, September, 2009.
- Meta-learning for Bioinformatics, Functional Genomics Group, University of Regensburg, Germany, October 2010.
- Using Metalearning for Technique Recommendation, World Congress on Information and Communication Technologies (WICT 2011), Mumbai, India, December 2011,
- Technique recommendation using Metalearning, 13th International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning (IDEAL), Natal, Brazil, 2012.
- Algorithm recommendation using metalearning, University of Regensburgo, Germany, 2013.
- Non-Trivial Classification Problems, Universidade do Porto, Portugal, 2013.
- Non-Trivial Classification Problems, IBM Research Center, Brazil, 2014.
- Challenging classification tasks, Invited Talk, HAIS Conference, Spain, 2014.
- Challenging Machine Learning classification tasks, Universitet of Orlean, France, 2014.
- A change is gonna come, University of Regensburgo, Germany, 2014.
- Using autonomous UAVs for precision agriculture, Universidade do Porto, Portugal, 2015.
- Autonomous UAVs for pesticide application to crop fields, Montpellier Laboratory of Informatics, Robotics and Microelectronics (LIRMM), 2015,
- The use of autonomous UAVs to improve pesticide application in crop fields. Workshop Mobile Data Mining, Porto, Portugal, June 13th 2016.
- Participation in a debate about the Artificial Intelligence movie Ex-machina, directed by Alex Garland, Instituto Moreira Salles (IMS) and Academia Brasileira de Ciencias (Brazilian Academy of Sciences) to celebrate 100 years of the Academia Brasileira de Ciências (Brazilian Academy of Sciences), Instituto Moreira Salles, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, April 22nd, 2016.
Tutorials / short courses
- Designing Neural Networks for Credit Analysis, International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, IJCNN'99, Washington, USA, July 1999.
- Hybrid Intelligent Systems, Argentine Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, ASAI 2001, Argentine Conference on Computer Science and Operational Research, 30 JAIIO - 2001, Buenos Aires, Argentina, September 2001.
- Inteligência Artificial (in Portuguese) – Artificial Intelligence, I Brazilian School on Artificial Intelligence and Bioinformatics, São Carlos, Brazil, December 2001.
- Hybrid Intelligent Systems, Congreso Latino Americano de Sistemas, Informatica, Telematica, Electronica y Computacion, CLASSITEC’2002, Arequipa, Peru, July 2002.
- AI and Bioinformatics, Summer School, University of Burgos, Spain, July 2003.
- Técnicas de Aprendizado de Máquina em Problemas de Biologia Molecular (in Portuguese) – Machine Learning Tecnhniques in Problems of Molecular Biology, XXI Brazilian Congress on Computer, SBC'2003, Campinas, Brazil, August 2003 (with M. Souto, Lorena, A., Delbem, A.).
- Ana Lúcia Bazzan and André Carvalho: Computational Intelligence, II Brazilian Workshop on Bioinformatics, WOB 2003, Macaé, Brazil, December 2003. (with Delbem, A., G. Telles, E. Simões and R. Romero).
- Computação Bioinspirada (in Portuguese) – Bioinspired Computing, XXII Brazilian Congress on Computer, SBC'2004, Salvador, Brazil, August 2004.
- Datamining in Bioinformatics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trhondheim, Norway, September, 2004.
- Bioinspired Machine Learning, XVI European Conference on Machine Learning (ECML´05) – Porto, Portugal – October 2005.
- Bioinspired Intelligent Systems, VI Hybrid Intelligent Systems (HIS´06)– Auckland, New Zealand – December 2006.
- Datamining in Bioinformatics VII International Conference on Intelligent Systems Analysis, (ISDA´07) – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – October 2007. With (Faceli, K. and Lorena, A. C.,).
- Datamining in Bioinformatics Brazilian School on Bioinformatics – Santo Andre, Brazil – August 2008. (with André Carvalho, Faceli, K. and Lorena, A. C.,).
- Datamining in Bioinformatics, Workshop Brazil-France – Recife, Brazil – October 2009.
- Evolutionary Algorithms for Clustering, 4th Hybrid Artificial Intelligent Systems Workshop (HAIS’09), Salamanca, Spain, June 2009. (withu Eduardo Hruschka, Ricardo Campello).
- Datamining in Bioinformatics, Part of the course "Técnicas de biologia molecular aplicadas à produção animal", funded by CBAB/CABBIO– São Carlos, Brazil – July 2009.
- Meta-aprendizado (in Portuguese) – Bioinspired Computing, XXII Brazilian Congress on Computer, SBC'2011, Natal, Brazil, 6 hours, August 2011. (with Bruno Feres de Souza, Ricardo Prudêncio).
- Metalearning, 13th Argentine Symposium on Artificial Intelligence (ASAI 2012), La Plata, Argentina, 5 hours, August 2012.
- Introduction to Machine Learning. 4th Symposium on Knowledge Discovery, Mining and Learning (KDMiLe),Petropolis, Brazil, October, 13th 2015.
- Big Data Stream Mining. ECML-PKDD Summer School on Data Sciences for Big Data - Resource Aware Data Mining , Porto, Portugal, September 3th, 2015. (with Gama, João; Bifet, A.,)
- Machine Learning. Motorola Research & Development, Campinas, Brazil, January, 29th 2016.